For those of you wondering, "What on earth does Lyndsay do all day?" or "What is it like to be an RD?" this posting is for you! I have decided to post a "typical" week for me. I put the word typical in quotations because there is no such thing as typical or routine in the life of an RD. That is what I love about being an RD...every day is different and you truly never know what could come up. So, here's my life:
Monday: My day off*
*This is the day when I "retreat" from campus and have a day to myself. I usually sleep in until 10:30 or 11 am. I leave campus because it helps me to get away from the distractions here. My first day off was a day in Pittsburgh. This past Monday Andy and I went to a local park and I sat under a tree and read my book for grad school.
Tuesday: 1:30-2:30 A one-on-one meeting with my RA, Kettie
Dinner
6-10pm Grad class (I am currently taking College Students of America)
Wednesday: 10:10-11am Attend Chapel*
Lunch
1:00 - 3:00 pm All RD meeting with Paul, the Director of Res Life
4:30 - 6:30 pm RA meeting with my four RAs
Dinner **
*This has been a great "cultural" experience. Geneva College is Reformed Presbyterian. As part of the RP tradition, services are a bit more tradition and "true worship" is deemed as unaccomanied psalms. So they have written songs to all 150 psalms of which we sing accapella...sometimes there is a piano. They do have a bulletin for chapel which includes an order of service and printed songs with the notes like hymnal would have. I have really enjoyed the services because they are so different from what I'm used to.
**Andy and I grab some dinner at "the brig" - an alternative place to eat that is open later than the dining hall but where you can still use a typical meal swipe.
Thursday: 9-11am RD brunch*
11:15-12:15pm One-on-One with my RA, Amy
Lunch
3-4pm One-on-one meeting with Paul
4-5pm One-on-one meeting with my RA Kelsey
5-6pm One-on-one dinner meeting with my RA Shawna
*All the RDs (and Paul) gather for brunch at one of the RDs apartments. It is a time to simply chill and update everyone on how life is going. Next week Andy and I are hosting the brunch...hooray!
Friday: 12-2:30 Office Hours in the Residence Life Office
Now I know some of you may be thinking, "Wow! She has a LOT of free time." Let me assure you that my days are actually quite full. I have a large amount of grad homework (as you read about in my previous blog). I also have a decent amount of paperwork that I have to complete regularly as an RD. I spend a significant time, especially after 9pm, wandering around the dorm getting to know students. I also plan for my staff meetings. Spontaneous interruptions happen a lot as well - whether it is time to catch up with another RD or staff member or a student in the dorm that wants to or needs to talk with me, or an incident that comes up in the dorm that requires attention. I also stay up pretty late since that's what college kids do usually heading to bed between 12:30-1:30am. So because of that I wake up later - around 9:15am unless I have an earlier appointment. I love the spontaneity of my job - it also is an adjustment because when you think you have a gap of time to complete something, almost always something else comes up that requires your attention.
ANDY UPDATE: It has been WONDERFUL to be able to spend time with Andy pretty much all that time that I'm not in a meeting. While I know it will be good for him to get a job, I do secretly wish that we could be together all day forever :) However, that would not be practical since we need to be making money in order to live:) He has put his resume out to about 8 places and is now waiting to hear back. Hopefully interviews will being soon.
1 comment:
Sounds like a lot of fun! :) We're praying for Andy. I bet it's fun spending time with him, but I'm assuming 2 incomes would also be good. :)
Love ya!
Post a Comment