
Andy and I were recently introduced to a night prayer service called Compline (meaning 'completion'). It has been a meaningful way to end our day with some of our friends. We meet occassionally at a church just a few blocks from our apartment usually around 10:30 or 11pm. Following the Book of Common Prayer, we are guided through a service that thanks God for the day, allows us to empty ourselves of any burdens from the day, and ask for a restful nights sleep.
I found a website that describes it this way: "Compline is offered when the work of the day is completed, and the quietness of evening settles over the hearts and minds of those who have come together in thankfulness for the blessings of the day which has passed and in anticipation of God's gift of a new day. As it has for centuries, Compline invokes a sense of protection and peace for the night that is to come and thanks for safe passage through the day that has passed...Silence and time for interior reflection are often identified as the most powerful and moving characteristics of the Compline service."
It has been an unexpected blessing to be introduced to compline services. It is something I look forward to, especially on days when I am feeling burdened or empty. The service ends by saying, "May God grant you a safe night's end and a peaceful rest."
...and then we walk back to our apartment and get ready for bed.
4 comments:
I was able to join with the monks at the monastery when I did a weekend retreat there. I was able to participate in compline and the other one that starts the day and other such services. It was really cool. I'm glad you've found it :)
where is this?
only to be awakened by your street sweeper....
haa. j/k, it's just funny that these two posts fall right next to each other.
maybe i should start a family compline here at my house...
Wow, that sounds amazing!
Post a Comment