Saturday, September 15, 2012

Salmon Cakes

This summer, my brother-in-law Chris and his (now) wife Lauren and I made salmon cakes for our father-in-law for Father's Day.  I knew immediately that Andy would love them.  For whatever reason, last week I remembered that I never made them for him.  I didn't have Lauren's recipe, so I creatively combined a few that I saw on the internet.  I am reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, which talks about how so often we know what is bad for us (food wise) and yet we still eat it.  So, I felt inspired to bake the salmon cakes, rather than fry them.  And they were VERY good.
(Andy has a rating system that he does for the food I make.  He gave me a 9.2 which is the highest rating I have received for a non-dessert item!) :)

Here's a photo and the recipe I "created":
(served with farmers market figs & grapes. grilled brussel sprouts are SOO yummy, but did not compliment this dish well)

Ingredients:
salmon
salt & pepper
red onion
jalapeno pepper
celery
light mayo
dijon mustard
lemon (or lime) juice
sriracha hot sauce
2 eggs
fresh cilantro, dill, or parsley
cumin
cayenne pepper
Panko bread crumbs

Defrost 1-1.5 lbs salmon (frozen fish section in grocery store).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Sprinkle on both sides with salt & pepper.
Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes (until just cooked - be careful not to overcook).
Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
Shred with fork.
Refrigerate.

Meanwhile, in a small pan, sauté 1/2 red onion in olive oil.
Chop 1-2 jalapeno peppers and 3-4 celery stalks.

In a medium bowl, combine:
 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
 1/4 cup dijon mustard
 2 T lemon (or lime) juice
7-10 drops of sriracha hot sauce, 
coarse salt & pepper
& red onion, jalapeno and celery (from above)

Add in chilled shredded salmon.  Mix to combine.  Lightly beat one egg, add in to mixture.  Chill 30 minutes in fridge.

Lemon/Lime Herb Sauce (compliments nicely as a dip for the cakes).  Combine:
1/4 cup light mayo
1/4 cup of light sour cream
2 T lemon (or lime) juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro or dill or parsley
salt & pepper
dash of cumin
dash of cayenne

mix well, refrigerate until ready to serve

Crack an egg into a bowl and gently beat.
Using the salmon mixture, form tightly into small round patties (makes about 8-10).
Spoon egg on all sides to moisten.
Sprinkle with Panko bread crumbs to coat.
Put in oven on lo broil.
Broil on each side 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.

Buen Provecho!!!