Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 4th

Holidays these days (other than Christmas) are rather bizarre because they are marked with zero family gatherings ... not because the gatherings aren't happening, of course (our families parties like it's their job) ... but because we made a crazy decision to move all the way across the country for the adventure, thrill, and professional opportunity it provided.

On top of that, Andy chooses to work on holidays (since there isn't much else going on) because it provides us with a floating holiday that we can use to go on excursions (which we lloooooovvveeee to do).  And because someone has to be at the shelter.

So, this fourth of July, I woke up with Andy (so it wouldn't feel like he was missing out on a vacation day sleeping in session), and went and gardened at the Westmont garden.  They grow lots of produce to try to supplement the dining hall - it's pretty awesome.  I planted lettuce seeds and weeded cilantro and carrots.  It ended up being a chilly day - I even wore a short sleeve sweater!!  That was weird!  I decided to dress patriotic for the gardening.The rest of the day was spent letting Chorizo in and out of the house - it is literally an all-day thing.

For those wondering if she is on a leash in the picture below- yes!  She has issues with wandering into open doors (off campus - including the president's house once) but loves being outside and does well on a leash - it's like a toy attached to her.  She was even playing with it in this photo.


 And baking a couple desserts for an impromptu gathering at the RD apartment next door.
I got the recipes from Annie's Eats

i decided to homemake the ice cream since she suggested it

my favorite - will definitely be making again!
 the homemade whipped cream was to die for!

After celebrating with lots of scrumptious food, we went to the beach for Santa Barbara's annual fire works.  Andy got his face painted by clients at work - I thought it was super cute :)


these were supposed to be fireworks

I also learned about a fire work snafu that happened in San Diego - ooops!  It was supposed to be a 15 minute show that went off all at once - yikes!
Watch the video here:



No comments: