Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Baked French Toast

At the end of last semester, I had my RAs over for an early (for me) breakfast. It was the final day before Christmas break, so we were going to be checking students out all day (not the kind where you determine hotness- the kind where you make sure they left their room with nothing plugged in, lights off, trash out, etc.). So we met at 7:30am in my apartment for homemade breakfast. Knowing it would be so early (again - I realize this is not that early for many people), I didn't want to wake up even earlier to begin making the food. So I did two fabulous things: I picked something that you can make the night before: Baked French Toast and I set the timer on my oven to turn on to pre-heat while we were sleeping (so all I would have to do is pop it in the oven fifteen minutes after I set the timer for).

On of my RAs told me it was the best breakfast he has ever had, and Andy told me that it topped the charts of the top things I make - smokes, that's a good recipe. I didn't take pictures, but here's some from various sights. You can make ALL KINDS of baked french toast (strawberry rhubarb, blueberry, maple, pumpkin, etc.). Here's the recipe I used for you all to enjoy (courtesy of Paul Deen).

Stuff you need:
  • 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces) - I bought it "day old"
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash of salt
  • Praline Topping (recipe below...)
  • Maple syrup
Steps:

Rip or slice French bread into 20 pieces, about an inch each. Pour pieces into a generously buttered 9X13" baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a whisk until blended (don't overdo it). Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Like this:

photo from here
Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Praline Topping:
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. (Can refrigerate overnight, but you need to soften it in the morning - or wait and make it the next morning)

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

photo from here
Eat. Enjoy with more maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream, nuts, etc.
photo from here

Bon Appetite!


2 comments:

marla said...

yum! do you deliver to hospitals...

Manda said...

this would be a good dish to take to mops! and i'm jealous that you have a timer to turn your oven on - so rad!