Sunday, April 17, 2011

California Bound!!!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, (drum roll please....)

It is with great excitement and anticipation that I officially announce that Andy and I are MOVING to Santa Barbara, California! Yup, it's true! I have accepted a position as Resident Director of Emerson Hall at Westmont College. Words.cannot.express.how.excited.we.are! Westmont shares similarities to Roberts and Geneva. 1200 students. Integration of faith and learning. Intentional approach to holistic student development. Yet there are many other aspects that make it unique: its location, its focus on diversity, its willingness to wrestle with the gray, its collaboration between faculty and student development, etc. AND there is a wilderness experience as part of RA training - cha-ching! I am SO excited!

Emerson Hall

From the parking lot - see the res hall tucked in the trees? That's the mountain...

Can you see the ocean on the horizon?

Even knowing that mountains are out our back door (literally) and the beach is out our front door (by a couple miles), it was not an easy decision. We knew we would be leaving behind almost all of our family (minus my cousin Aaron who lives in LA), the ability to drive home, and the ease of sharing a time zone with nearly all of our friends and family (save a few west-coasters), the ability to be home more often, being near our cutie nieces and nephews, four distinct seasons, etc. Ultimately, we knew that this would be the best chapter of our lives to go on a far off adventure, and that Westmont would be a f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c experience for me to keep learning and growing in higher education. Plus, biking is everyone's hobby there, so Andy knows he'll fit right in!

Other campus photos:



unbelievable!

Here's some other photos of Santa Barbara (These photos were all taken when Andy and I flew out there for my interview):




breathtaking!

Truly it is hard to believe that this is going to be our new home! We are so excited for what God has in store for us in Santa Barbara. It has been quite the interviewing process/journey (four on-campus interviews is exhausting!) and we are so at peace with our final decision!

7 comments:

Kelly Alberts said...

holy cow! in my mind i did NOT imagine it being so stunningly beautiful!!!

Kristen said...

oh MY!!!! roomie!!! I am so happy for you! What an amazing opportunity and adventure for you and Andy! Oh man we will miss you so so much! Love you tons!

Your roomie :)

Ray and Lisa said...

WOW!!! Congratulations!! What an amazing opportunity and adventure you guys have ahead of you! Can you tell by all the exclamation points that I am excited for you guys? I'm secretly jealous too. The place looks GORGEOUS. We will miss being able to pop in to see you when we visit Geneva though. :(

rachel said...

seriously so excited for you guys! and let's be honest, i'm pretty pumped about the opportunity to come visit! :) you should definitely meet up with my friend megan. she lives around los angeles... not sure how far that is from westmont, but both of you are worth a drive. ;)

michele said...

Congratulations! So excited for you guys! Best of luck!

marla said...

so proud of you ginger beaner! aaand...can't wait to come visit! xo.

Manda said...

Yay for Leeko bandito on the new job! Yay for a beautiful place to move to, um, I mean vacation to for us! We will miss our little gingy-bean soo much!!