Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pennsylvania Bound

Yup! It's true! My hubby and I are packing our bags and moving to Beaver Falls, PA. After about 5 months of searching for RD jobs, God opened the door for me - Geneva College, Resident Director/Grad Assistant of the Geneva Arms Dorm. It's a Christian College located 35 miles North of Pittsburgh. Andy and I had the opportunity to visit campus before accepting the job offer. I had hoped that upon visiting we would feel definitely yes or definitely no about whether or not to take the job, but there continued to be pros and cons to both options (staying in Rochester or moving to PA). After prayer and many discussions, we decided that it is a great opportunity for me to pursue my dream job (yup - always wanted to be an RD) while getting a masters degree in Higher Education (which essentially qualifies me to work on any college campus). Where do I see myself going with this degree? Well, at least for now I can see myself as an RD for several years (although I can only be at Geneva for 2-3 years while I get the degree). Beyond that, I could see myself as a director of residence life or as a missions and abroad coordinator where I organize the missions trips and work with international students as well as students who want to go abroad for a semester. But really, I'm open to whatever God wants me to do.

I am so grateful for my incredible husband who is willingly giving up a job he loves at the Catholic Family Center in Rochester to pursue my dream. He is very brave to go from our little cottage in the woods to living in a dorm with 115 women. He did jokingly say he is going to write a book: "Holy Estrogen: My life with 115 women." Our prayer is that he is able to find a social work job in the area rather quickly.

So, my last day as an admissions counselor is this upcoming Tuesday, July 22nd. I will then spend the next week of my life packing up our belongings. Monday, July 28th we pick up our uhaul and start loading it up. On Tuesday, July 29th, my wonderful parents and I head down to Beaver Falls to move me in. Andy moves himself back to Grimm Farms for a couple weeks. I start training on Monday, August 4th. Andy's last day at CFC is Friday, August 8th and then he will go on the vacation we had planned up to Algonquin with his brother Matt (thanks for filling in for me, Matt!). My hubby will then move down to join me on August 18th.

So, soon there will be adventures from Geneva College. Here is what my new home looks like. We'll be on the far right side.

2 comments:

rachel said...

Congrats again on the new job! We'll be praying for Andy's job search! Good luck on the big move. And YAY for being closer to us!! :)

Kristen said...

Roomie, I'm going to miss you so much! However, I am extremely happy for you about this opportunity! Love you bunches!

Oh, and I am still on the search for your phone - I am bound and determined to find it before you go!